Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, April 6, 2019

Fun Saturday...

I participated in an author takeover of a group I joined on FaceBook. It's called M/M Banter and is for those of us who write male on male stories...mainly geared to the darker side. I ran it between 11 and 11:30am and had fun promoting my books, talking about the script for PM, answering questions, and learning about what other authors are working on and have published.

It's interesting to figure out what some people think of as dark. There's a fair amount of domination/submission stuff being offered, which doesn't really interest me. This slave/master Do what I say or I'll hurt you/Yes, sir stuff is okay...but too artificial for me. There's a fair amount of shape-shifting, too -- wolves and lions and such -- which can be fun, but some go so far as having torture, which I do not enjoy.

I should add, unless the story specifically calls for it. The murders in Underground Guy could be considered torture, and while I didn't go into much detail on them, the idea of the horror involved was necessary to build up to Devlin's breakdown.

Many of my books are considered pretty damn dark, but mainly because they're psychologically so. My characters have justifications for their actions, no matter how vicious and cruel they might be. And illegal. As they finally get to understanding who and what they've become. Even as light a book as A65 has a bit of that in Adam's past and his growing awareness of what he's gotten himself into with Casey.

Stripping out the internal reflection Alec has in PM, the book, revealed to me just how harsh his actions were. I haven't minimized them, at all. In fact, I expanded on what happens between him and his ex, Woody, and why Alec left him. It ties into the story a lot better, now, and the script still ends with a threat, like in the book.

I do wonder why I think I can get away with this. Why it hasn't come back to bite me in the ass. Maybe not being a best-seller's helped me, in that way; I dunno. I just know that today I got the script down exactly like I want it, so all that's left to do is a spell-check and one last read-through, and off he goes into the real world.

Ready and waiting.

No comments: