A Place of Safety - Derry / New World For Old / Home Not Home

A Place of Safety - Derry / New World For Old / Home Not Home
All three volumes are available in hardcover, paperback and ebook!

Saturday, August 8, 2026

Comfort food...

When I was growing up, one of the few meals my mother knew how to make was what we called Beanie-weenies. It was a hot dog sliced in half, lengthwise, and put on a piece of plain bread. Then spoonfuls of Campbell's Pork & Beans were layered over them and a slice of Kraft Processed Cheese put on top, then bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.

It was cheap and filling. A meal for less $0.60, which came in handy considering how poor we were. Granted, that was back when I could eat  cheap hot dogs with chicken crap in them, and it was also the middle Sixties.

Now? I can only make it with Turkey dogs from Oscar Mayer, since they have no chicken in them. It works with Bush's baked beans and Velveeta cheese slices, too.

I continue to love it, even with the adjustments. It's one of the foods I break out when things get to be too overwhelming and I need something to focus on to keep me from crashing into immobility...and I needed it, today.

Another comfort food is making a meatloaf with onion, green pepper and carrot worked into a pound of ground beef, with leftover rice. Cut up some potatoes and carrots to put around it. Slather it all with Campbell's Tomato Soup and bake at 375 for an hour, and that's five meals. Including at least one meatloaf sandwich on plain bread with Sandwich Spread.

I'd have done that, tonight, but I don't have any green pepper, carrots or potatoes, and it's just not right without them. And it has to be right for it to work.

So my Beanie-weenie did the job. I'm calmer. Still don't know why I started spinning off...but now I can relax. And try to figure it out...because I was getting a lot done on MQM.

Jesus, how fucking crazy am I?

No comments: