Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, October 16, 2009

Dammit...

"5 Dates" didn't win the Suzanne's Prize at Screenwriting Expo. It just reached semifinalist, and I'm bummed. Yeah, it's great for the script to have gotten that far -- but it deserved to at LEAST hit finalist; after that, it's a coin-toss as to who wins.

Funny, but this is a totally different attitude from how RDP's placed. With that script, I wrote it as a compromise, and I've treated it as one ever since. I've done that with a couple of other scripts, as well. I guess I still have a two-tiered attitude towards my writing -- some of it's deserving of recognition while the rest surprises me at how well it's done. Makes me feel guilty at how I keep lowered expectations for certain scripts while others are expected to kick ass...even as I believe ALL of my writing is of a higher caliber than most.

I dunno...maybe I ought to end this nonsense of writing scripts my way and write a couple of Syd Field pieces of crap just to get my foot in the door. Problem is, I've tried doing that and I wind up caring about my characters too much to limit them to that A-B-C stupidity. Thank God I never had kids; they'd be spoiled rotten.

No comments: