Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Imagination

I finally heard one of Taylor Swift's songs on the radio -- "You Belong With Me"(?) -- and enjoyed its sweet bounciness laced with longing. What's interesting is, it took me back to my updating of the Beauty and the Beast script, "5 Dates", and I pictured something like it (with happier lyrics) over the end titles of the movie as Mitch, Charl, his posse and mother, and her siblings and father danced along to it. Sort of like the ending of "Out To Sea" with a dash of "Slumdog Millionaire". Came out of nowhere but it got me to thinking (dangerous, I know).

I'm still visually and aurally oriented when it comes to my writing...well to just about anything. As I write my stories, I see them and hear them and inhabit the rhythm of them -- I have to before they work for me; it's almost organic. And something I finally noticed was, I just recently came up with Antony's music...and even then it was sort of a "this kind of works" thing. I don't really know what he listens to or hears in his head when he's pulling music up. In the first volume of RIHC6 I used a variation of Bernard Hermann's score for ""Vertigo" but it was a stop-gap; I'd used the same melody for a few moments in "Kazn" to build tension in my mind's eye -- specifically the luxurious "Wandering" and "Driving to the Mission" sequences. And I'd thought of using Enigma, but that's so tied into "Dair's Window" and "5 Dates" in my mind, it didn't seem appropriate.

So...what does this mean in the scheme of writing the story? I have no idea. Just musing, I guess. Contemplating. I don't know. But I have a feeling once I find it, I'll find the key to fire up my engine and finish this thing...because while I don't want it to end, I DO want to find out what the ending is. Hell, I've been yammering about it long enough.

Hmm...I wonder how he feels about "Nine Inch Nails"?

No comments: