Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, March 5, 2010

Good ol' Cleveland

I had a 3.5 hour layover there, yesterday, en route back to Buffalo and got a solid object lesson as to why some airports have bad reputations. Cleveland's sucks. The terminals are half a mile apart, and you have to go underground to get to them. The food services is close to non-existent. The only place I saw to use your laptop with a plug for power was where you had to stand, no sitting. And when I tried to log onto WiFi to do some things, I'd get on for 5 seconds then get dumped...and the one time I managed to stay on, the downloading was so slow, it wasn't even matching dial-up speed. I finally gave up and just worked on RIHC6v2 till I'd drained my battery. The one positive? One shop had bottle of Dr. Pepper.

I've gone back over part one of this volume of RIHC6 to clarify some things...and found more typos. I'm bad about reversing letters or dropping them by not hitting the keys hard enough...but I've also noticed I forget words, sometimes. It's like I get going typing and think I've put everything in then go back and sometimes find my sentences don't make sense (on the occasions where I don't just fill the word in when I'm rereading the bit so don't notice it's missing till the fourth or fifth read-through; that's half the reason I keep going though it). There's nothing consistent about it so I don't think I can do anything to change it short of slowing down when I write...and I don't like doing that. When it's flowing, I can't let the beauty stop. So I go back over it and over it and ask a buddy to edit it and hope for the best.

Of course, I also did some rewriting and editing as I went. And trimmed back a bit. I have just under 220 typewritten pages, total.

No internet service at ahome, yet, and it's proving to be a problem setting up. I may wind up having a landline whether I want one or not, since cable's being such a pain in the ass and Verizon's Fios WiFi is so damned expensive, by itself.

As for Miami -- that place is chaos on the beach, and tedious at that. Poorly marked streets. Palm branches covering the few signs that are there? A deliberate plan to confuse anyone trying to get around the city proper. Traffic as nasty as along the 101 or 405 in LA. EXPENSIVE tolls. Ugh. And I didn't even see anybody good-looking enough to look at twice. Total waste of time and space.

Not that I'm picky or anything.

No comments: