Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, March 15, 2010

Weird things going on

Buffalo is a curious city. Stores close surprisingly early on Sundays -- like 5pm -- so I couldn't get some things I needed because I waited too long. I mean, even the Target was closed when I went back to it. And the selection of things when you DO get to these stores is amazingly minimal. I went to Target earlier in the day to find a pair of sneakers to wear at the office (we're California casual here) and they only had one aisle of men's shoes and maybe 20 square feet of men's clothing. I was taken aback. I blew off buying anything, thinking I'd find all I needed at a grocery store and JC Penney's...but Penney's was closed and the groccery story didn't have ANY of the things I was looking for. I felt very Third World, for a moment.

I will add, I've been spoiled by the massive stores in LA and SA. In Texas, I lived within walking distance of a Target that was twice this one's size. I guess I just have to get used to the idea that things are different, up here.

I managed to keep my hands off RIHC6v2...for the most part. Here's hoping I can do so for a week to give me space enough to find out if the story's working. I'm going to print up a copy to do corrections on. I find I locate typos much easier, that way. Then it's off to my editor for one last overview...and then it'll be off to the publisher.

Fingers and eyes crossed.

No comments: