Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Empty head

This is what I get for drinking wine with dinner. Sluggish the next day and unable to focus. All I can do is zone. And dither. And contemplate the nothing around me. And try not to fall asleep at work.

I'm still bouncing back and forth on what to tackle next -- dig into "A Place Of Safety" or finish the last book of "Bobby Carapisi"...which is already threatening to expand into a fourth book, albeit one I can deal with at a later date. It'd just be Allen's erotic writings as opposed to his discussion of his life and times leading up to his encounters with Eric and Bobby. I may still be a bit drained after "Desert Land" and my core is unwilling to let me shift focus, yet. I don't know. I just can't seem to do anything creative, at the moment. Not even a sketch or painting or anything. All I want to do is sleep. So I think I'll go to bed early and see what happens, tomorrow.

Till then, here's a picture of Mississauga, a suburb of Toronto's that has enough elegant condos to put the Wilshire Corridor to shame.

Taken from the CNTower, of course, which is now the third tallest structure in the world, after the Burj Khalifa (2700 feet!) and some TV tower in China.

(Mississagua is that line of buildings you can barely see in the upper center if you open the photo and expand it.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The problem with wine at dinner and that sluggish feeling is to start drinking much earlier and continue until a stupor ensues. Most great art started with a drink for breakfast.

At the height of madness, during prohibition, apple trees were cut down to keep people from making cider. It is why we have no great art from this period and a lot of apple smoked bacon.

JamTheCat said...

I do wonder if it'd be best for me to just take the Hemingway or Fitzgerald route and drink myself silly before writing. I wrote a script that way, once, and it actually turned out decent -- not only was it well-structured; it was done in a week. Of course then I started polishing it and reworking it for the next three years till I'd figured out exactly where I wanted my usage of "the" and "and" and "a" to be. That's really important for something as unread as a screenplay.