Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, April 30, 2010

Back to Oz and back...


This is downtown Toronto from a nature preserve south of town. My business was done by 2:30 so I thought I'd head back and miss the weekend traffic. No way. It was as bad on the QEW (Queen's Expressway West) as on the 101 in LA during rush hour. I finally got off, thinking it must be a wreck and toodled down to this lovely little park, walked around to relax and found this elegant view of the city's center...uh, centre.

You know, for some reason it reminds me of The Emerald City in "The Wizard of Oz" -- the movie with Judy Garland. It seems to have that same feeling of hope and promise and dreams about to be filled.

I finally headed back to the QEW and everything looked better...until I'd gone 5 miles and hit that sort of stop and go traffic that makes no sense...for 30 miles, up to the 403 split. I didn't get to shift above 2nd gear the whole way. Then it sped up again...for ten miles and another slow down for a few miles. At 5:30 I was just hitting St. Catherine and yet another slowdown, so I got off and went to Niagra-On-The-Lake to see what was playing at the Shaw Fest. Tonight was "The Cherry Orchard," a Chekov play that I've already seen and am not all that taken with. And NOTL is really little more than a small town with a couple of nice shops (that were closed) and overpriced restaurants -- tho' I found one that wasn't ridiculously so. I had a burger and fries and something to drink for $20 then drove to the bridge at Lewiston along the Niagra Parkway and finally got home at 9:15pm.

I'm too beat to work on anything but un-thinking crap, tonight. The whole time I was in the car the sun was shining and the breeze was cool and that combination makes me really tired...and a bit sunburned. Guess my shower will be low-temperature, tonight.

No comments: