Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, April 23, 2010

Got the day off

So I'm going to finish with "Desert Land" and get a new phone since my phone's battery now keeps a charge for maybe 10 minutes (it's 3 whole years old) and even my backup battery is starting to act up...and then I'll contemplate my future.

As for my past, here's a photo of the reason I didn't go to Paris.

The green streaks above the volcano are the Northern Lights. I think the color comes from the film or type of processing they used on the photo, because even the snow has a hint of green to it. Besides, I've seen the Northern Lights -- when we lived in Grand Forks, North Dakota -- and my God, were they phenomenal. Whispering gauze curtains of a blue so pale it was almost white, swaying in a midnight sky of ten million diamonds. I watched them for an hour before they began to fade. I'd seen pictures of them, before, but the emotions you feel while witnessing something so elegant and gentle...I think that was the first time I really caught an idea of how insignificant human beings are, despite our arrogant insistence that we're the center of the universe.

It's a beautiful photo -- but I'm still pissed off at that fucking volcano.

2 comments:

Writer said...

I love your description of the Northern Lights. I can't wait to see them myself some day.

So did you reschedule Paris?

JamTheCat said...

Thanks, Writer.

Nope, didn't get to reschedule. I was supposed to help load out the Paris Book Fair and the job I needed to do was done by an agent of my company's who lives in France. He's still bitching about it because it meant him working till 2am on a Sunday night and having to handle book dealers, who are difficult in the best of times.