Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Adventures of Robin Hood

The 1938 version with Errol Flynn and Olivia de Haviland is fantastic.  I just watched it for the umpteenth time and still got swept up in the beauty and romance of it all.  Yes, parts of the story are silly and way too boisterous and goodnatured, and the whole third act ignores history, but as an action-adventure movie, its mixture of humor, pacing and glamor are still the standard.  In recent years, only the "Bourne" series with Matt Damon has come close to matching it, and that's without the fun or optimism of Robin's world.

But what really makes the movie near perfect is Erich Wolfgang Korngold's score and the exquisite use of Technicolor by Tony Gaudio and Sol Polito.  The day for night scenes are a bit much to take (but understandable considering the technology of the times) but my God, how the colors pop and the faces glow.  They should have gotten an Oscar, but they weren't even nominated; at least Korngold deservedly got one.

When I was planning to do LD as a play, at the end of Act 2 I decided to use the love theme from this movie for the kiss as Daniel sends Marigold off for help (I originally wrote the piece as a straight project, with Marigold Lee as the reporter/romantic interest...but I like it more with Daniel being gay and Van being mysterious).  The music still works.

I watched this as a bit of a celebration.  I found the link between everything in POS as I was doing laundry.  It fits every single solitary story and plot and action together, and I have 2 pages of notes on how it works.  All I need to do now is keep it from becoming too obvious.

Wednesday AbFab is coming.  Time for a little of the old "glam-glam, sweetie" girls.  I need to buy some white wine.




No comments: