Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Spooky town

Salt Lake City is a bit scary...and I'm not sure why.  Except the downtown area has to be the cleanest, neatest downtown I've ever seen.  And tourists are having their photo taken in front of the LDS office building, which is anything but spectacular.  And the road signs are almost deliberately misleading.  And the suburbs look too damn much like Pasadena and Altadena.  And ten miles up the 15 looks like the worst of San Bernadino.  And the drivers do not believe in turn signals.  And the lake, itself, smells.  And they obviously do not give a damn about the environmental damage their industries right by the lake are doing to it.

That said, the mountains around the city still have snowcaps and thick forested areas.  And the air is clean and crisp (so long as you're not by the lake).  If any of the photos I took came out (I'm at the point where I despise my camera because I just can't seem to get the hang of it), I'll post them when I get back to Buffalo.

I've gone through and polished most of LD...and found a logical error that needed correcting (and which added 2 pages to the total).  And do NOT get me started on the typos I found, even after going through it with a fine tooth comb.  I'll need to do another pass to make sure everything is working right and in order.  But that's what long LONG airplane rides are for.

Tomorrow I'm going to try and find the Spiral Jetty, a work of installation art that I thought was near Antelope Island but is actually another 35 miles up the freeway and over and...oh, I have no idea.  But at least now I have a map, thanks to a park person's kindness.

So far no conversion attempts.  I'm doing good.

No comments: