Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Something scary...

Digging through my boxes brought me in contact with ghosts from my past.  For example, THIS!!
And we ain't talkin' college, here.  I was 17 when I graduated high school, and had already been working for a year.  I tried to get rid of those cross-hatches, but this is what happens when you blow up a 1x2 photo.

Suddenly I'm remembering Rene Sanchez, drum major my last year of high school, who was the coolest guy in the senior class.  Tall, broad-shouldered, damn good-lookin' -- he introduced me to Iron Butterfly's "In-a-gadda-da-vida."

And Louis Orozco, who was a sailor with me on the school float ("South Pacific") in the Battle of Flowers parade during Fiesta.  Shorter and stockier than Rene but just as cute and filled out those white pants like you wouldn't believe.

We totaled a teacher's car en route to the parade's starting line-up and I had to run six blocks with a splitting headache to let them know what happened.  No cell phones.  I went through the whole parade barely moving because my head hurt so damn much and nobody had any aspirin.

Maybe I had brain damage; that would account for a lot in my later years.

No comments: