Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Boxes of crap

I'm going through all my boxes of papers and wondering what the hell I was thinking in accumulating it all.  Seriously...I've taken out 2 bags of duplicated sheets of dead trees and also have 3 reams worth of scrap paper to do my printing on.  And that's out of 2 banker's boxes.  And don't get me started on the dozens of manila folders I no longer needed.  I won't have to buy those, again, till 2020.

It's amazing what you can build up in the way of crap in your life and not realize it.  There are some things I'll need to keep -- tax and bank records back 7 years, copies of all the scripts I've worked on as well as copyright info on them, some of my original artwork that's almost decent (there's a lot that's sloppy and self-indulgent, at best) -- but it's my goal to be rid of 90% of the junk I have now.  If it ain't been used in the last 3 years, it's never gonna be.

I'm now a citizen of NY State, BTW.  When I went to get my Texas license, it took over 2 hours of standing in line, getting okayed, photo'd up and paying out to get the job done; at NY's DMV -- 35 minutes.  Of course I hate the picture they took; I'd rather they have used this one.
It was taken my last year of college by a photography student, and it's the only photo of me as an adult that I honestly like.

FYI, I was 26 at the time.  I'd worked as a visual merchandiser for a high-end department store for several years, straight out of high school, and didn't start my undergraduate education till I was 23...for all the good it did me.  Had I been smart, I'd have stuck with my art instead of grasping for something I was never built to achieve.

Dunno why the edges were cut like that; I found this in my mother's box of photos and that's how it was.  I think it's called "pinking."  How fitting.

No comments: