Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, August 25, 2011

I made meatloaf

Made enough for three meals and two sandwiches. This is one of my comfort foods, believe it or not. A meatloaf sandwich on white bread with Sandwich Spread, Tostitos and a Dr. Pepper -- and sometimes a big, sweet pickle -- and any bad mood I'm in vanishes. But it's got to be a certain style of meatloaf. My recipe?

2 lbs of ground beef
1 can Campbell's Tomato Soup (mixed with 1 can of water)
1/2 of a small Green Pepper, chopped up
1/2 of a small Red Pepper, chopped up
2 tbsp. of chopped onion (you can add more; I'm just not a big onion fan)
2 tbsp. of Teriyaki sauce.
3 medium potatoes
4-5 medium carrots

Mix the beef, peppers, onion and Teriyaki sauce together and form into a loaf, put in a casserole dish.
Peel and cut the potatoes into halves or quarters.
Peel and cut the carrots into chunks.
Surround the meat with the potatoes and carrots.
Ladle the tomato soup over the meat and veggies.
Cover the casserole dish.
Cook at 375 for 1 hour +/- (until the potatoes are done).

It's VERY rich, a hint on the sweet side...and I could just about live on that and the sauce that it winds up with. I've also made it with a bay leaf...and sometimes added a cup of cooked rice or uncooked oatmeal to the meat to make it go farther, but then you need to add another can of tomato soup to keep it from getting dry.

Not at ALL good for you, but very filling...and it makes me want to do this --

That's Benjamin Godfre, an underwear model who was a gymnast (I think) or maybe he was just a skateboarder boi. He's also what I refer to as comfort food (got this from Salmagundi; see blogs I follow).

I'm feeling pretty wicked, right now. I've been going over LD for typos and did find a couple but threatened to slip into my usual "this is crap" phase, so I derailed it with the meatloaf and the photo. And now I'm wondering if I'll use this for Brendan, too.

There's something in POS that's too restrained and he's pushing to break free. Something's not quite right about what I've done, so far...and I think this is leading me to what that something is. Whatever. I now know what to do about the tattoo to keep it real instead of merely symbolic.

I posted "pillow boy's wink" on my desktop, so he's gazing at me anytime I'm on my computer. My brain is beginning to notice.

No comments: