Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Back to "Inherent Flaws"

I may have some packing jobs in the Philadelphia, DC area which could take up to a week, beginning next weekend, so I decided to get IF polished up. I don't have Word available on my laptop, anymore, so don't know how I'll be able to do any writing while on the road.

It hasn't been easy. I'm still fighting off a cold and slopping down so much in the way of fluids, I should set up a table for my laptop into the bathroom and just sit on the toilet and piss whenever I feel like it. But that doesn't sound comfortable, for some reason.

So...I've gone through 85 pages, so far...and it's going to take more work than I expected. Sure enough, there are other moments where the ex-cop rewrote things in his non-punctuation style. And if I'd been skimming through it to check for typos, only, I'd have missed some of them...because they aren't in blocks.

Places where he corrected how things worked in the police academy, for instance, were blended in with what I'd written. Only his way of doing it wound up repeating some of the things I'd said, just in a slightly different way. Or he stated something that did not need to be stated because it was obvious from the actions being presented.

It's hard to keep from getting pissed off, especially since it makes so damn much more work for me. But like I told him, this is it. I'm not doing another rewrite like this. In fact, right now I'm wavering about asking for feedback, even, because it may mean more work on this thing, and I want to get done with OT so I can get on with POS.

But I probably will ask some friends to read it and tell me what works and what doesn't. And check for typos, which I'm hideously bad about. I can't send out something I'm not proud of.

Something that did come up with POS thanks to the documentary I saw last night is, I've got Brendan's mother wrong in some major aspects. I need to let this realization permeate through me so I can face her with the contradictions in her. But something I noticed...she's nodding up and down about the changes. And Brendan's nervous about them. That's a good thing.

Now I'm going to work on one more chapter of IF before bed.

No comments: