Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, June 22, 2012

Too good to last

I got nothing done on OT, tonight, half because I'm getting ready for this trip on Sunday and found out my plans for staying in NYC weren't going to work. Apparently because the van I'll be driving has a commercial license plate, there are a number of roads in the city I can't use...including the Belt Parkway, which would be the easiest, fastest route to JFK from the New Jersey Turnpike.

The hotel I planned to stay at was on the Belt Parkway. It would have taken me just under two hours to get to it from the packing job, and it would have been ten minutes to where I needed to go, the next morning. But to get to it any other way meant traveling a labyrinth of city streets that would have been damn near impossible to navigate short of being a native to the area. So I changed my hotel to one by the airport. Irritating.

I left work early and went to AAA to get a map of where I could drive, because they supposedly know all about this restriction...and after half an hour finally wound up with directions across city streets. No freeways. Their mapping system made no distinction between highway, beltway or city street so I couldn't work it out for myself.

So I came home and Googled directions...which insisted I take the Park Beltway. My one other option is to go through the Lincoln Tunnel and across Manhattan then along the LIE and onto the Van Wyck. I've been on both during rush hour, and all it means is NASTY traffic like what you find on the 101 or 110 in downtown LA.

Thing is, in LA I'd know how to get around this; NYC is still a mystery and going out of its way to keep it so.

I guess I'll do the city streets laid out by AAA, because it's a shorter distance and might take a bit less time. It's just a lot of stoplights.

I hate stoplights.

No comments: