Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Back to it...

"The Vanishing of Owen Taylor"...

This is turning into a far more complex book than I expected it to be. Why Owen vanishes is the main reason for the story, but it's become more about betrayal and the possibilities of betrayal...and that fascinates me.

I finally got a clue when Lemm's character became an integral part of the story. He and Matt wind up in bed. In a hotel room. Without telling Jake where they are.

Wait...I guess I should backtrack; it has been a while since I was working on this story.

This is my visual for Lemm (short for Leonardo), and he's from Chile. His brother snuck him into America when he was 10 because the rest of their family is dead. Owen gave them work, then the brother vanished, probably picked up by immigration, and Owen helped Lemm keep going.

Turns out, the DA was using Lemm to fight Owen in another legal matter by claiming there was a sexual relationship when the boy was only 15 (he's 20, now)...and that's why they think Owen vanished -- he was facing statutory rape charges.

Well...he's an enigma. I don't know which side of the whole mess he's on, yet. But he's now become a suspect in Owen's disappearance. And while Jake doesn't trust him, he's aware enough to know not to distrust him completely, yet...because Lemm's also directed him to some very important information.

I want Lemm and Matt to wind up together, at the end. Matt deserves it. But I won't know if that's how it's going to be till I write it. And what I've wanted for an ending before has changed drastically on me.

I hope it means that when I don't know, the reader won't know until the end.

Oh...and I'm now close to 70,000 words.

No comments: