Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Changed directions...

I've shifted my novel writing to the completion of "The Vanishing of Owen Taylor". I looked over it and only have a little left to do, so that's what I'll use for NaNoWriMo's challenge.

I'm using this as the primary image for me. It suits the feel of the story. I don't know who the model is, but I don't have any of Will Fennell's photos that work at this point, and I wanted something stark, like this.

Going back over what I have written, it is coming across as much too bleak and humorless. Dion's bits are fun, and Matthew has some light moments; I'll just look into expanding upon them. I'm not making a tragedy, here; it's a mystery-suspense piece and doesn't need to be so intensely intense.

Reading through "Bobby Carapisi", again, showed me that while there is no real humor in the story, nothing to leaven the tragedy, it is told in a snarky, off-beat style by Eric and an almost amused manner by Allen, that mitigate some of the heaviness. But it's not enough. I made a mistake not using Moritz more, to lighten things up.

Shakespeare always put moments of near slapstick comedy in his tragedies, and he's about as good a guide as you can use.

I'm stepping back from "The Alice '65" because it's just too much of a screenplay in my head, right now, and I can't get into the story from a different angle. I've tried, and that damn brick wall appears, without fail. Besides, Adam's not too keen on doing that until the script is as good as it can get...and it's got a long way to go to get to that point. I can already see a complete restructuring is in order. I just wish people would get back to me on what does and does not work for them.

Sometimes silence is NOT golden, it's terrifying.

No comments: