Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Microsoft Word hates Macs

I've finally figured out that Microsoft Office for Mac is not the same as for PCs. I've been having a hellacious time getting the Word document of "Bobby Carapisi - The Complete Novel" to upload properly into Create Space. Uploading in Word meant spaces appeared in places they didn't belong, and my pagination was thrown off. If I shifted it into a PDF, none of the odd pages had page numbers, just the even ones. I tried everything I could think of, and even what was suggested by people on the Forums. No luck.

So I took an hour at work and opened the Word document on a PC...and it came out at 704 pages...but looked great. I updated the Table of Contents and shifted it into a PDF, and every page had a number. It all came out perfect. So I e-mailed the PDF home and this evening uploaded it and it looked great. But Create Space has this thing where they do NOT like having 3 blank pages in a row in the book, something I'd done deliberately, between each book. So I have to redo it.

But now I know it's something peculiar to the program and not me just fucking up, again.

Got chapter one of A65 set and will snap it together, soon. I don't know if I'll make the 50K in wordage, but it'll be a start.

I'm off to Dallas Friday morning, to drive to Plainview, then back on Sunday. I'll have 4 days off for Thanksgiving and will use them to work on A65.

So far, no feedback on the script. I'm already seeing things that need work and clarification. The nice thing about the book is, it'll keep me working on something else so I won't get too antsy about the screenplay.

No comments: