Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, November 2, 2012

Still the king of typos...

Create Space says BC is good to go, but as I was looking through the online proof, I noticed two problems -- in the Table of Contents I have the prologue as beginning on page 10 and it's on page 11; and the left side's page numbers are higher than the right page's. So I sucked it up and bought a physical proof for $12.00. I'll have it in a couple weeks, then I can see how it looks in reality and do any corrections from that.

Man...when I think of how many times I went over this thing trying to get it perfect. Oh well...I never was a detail person.

I've been in a weird mood, lately...something close to needy but not quite. Some people indulge their moods with food or drink...I did it by ordering a calendar of this guy -- the amazingly goreous Rodiney Santiago. He's a Brazilian model who's on "The A List", which is the gay version of "Real Wives of New York City", because he was involved with a guy who's a semi-famous winner of "The Amazing Race" and acted in "Dante's Cove" -- Reichen Lehmkuhl.

I only really know about Lehmkuhl because he wrote his biography a few years ago, which included a section about when he was raped while at the Air Force Academy. I haven't read it because I didn't hear about it till after I'd finished the first two volumes of BC...and by then he was a controversial figure in the gay community. Apparently they felt he was opportunistic and arrogant, to the extreme...so I avoided the book.

Truth is, I was so wiped by working on BC, I couldn't face dealing with anything more about sexual assault, at the time. But now I've got more distance from the story so may go ahead and check it out.

More truth is...BC is going to be a difficult book to sell. It's a tragedy mixed with some graphic sexual content where the only thing that mitigates the horror of what's happening is Eric's off-handed manner of detailing what's going on. He's like a bitchy queen who's fun to listen to until you realize what he's talking about.

And then Allen comes in, making most of his explanations of what happened a fantasy of what his life has been like, all in overly proper English. It's a odd story. I have no idea how to categorize it. Hell, I don't even know why I wrote it. I just...had to.

I think that's why I want A65 to be funny; I'm tired of being so fucking serious all the time...and while LD was a good step in that direction, it still had a lot of harshness in it. Like a Russian comedy.

Jesus...maybe I WAS Tolstoy in a former life.

But then again, Tolstoy never had a crush on a beautiful Brazilian boi named Rodiney.

UPDATE: For some reason, Blogger said my post for Thursday did not go through, even though it had, last night. Instead, it was put in the drafts. So I've re-posted it. Weird electronical stuff has been happening to me a lot, lately. My normal thought is to wonder what I did wrong...but I'm beginning to think it's not me so much as the IT people making things just too damned complex to work simply, anymore.

2 comments:

Writer said...

Hard to sell cause of "graphic sexual content"? In this day and age of 50 Shades, vampire rape, were-sex and incestuous rape being so rampant in books that it's become boring? Surely, you jest.

When it's ready for purchase, please send me a link. Or at least the title. I only know it as BC. :)

JamTheCat said...

Difrference is, it's gay content. Jackie Collins writes about pussies being wet and men's hard dicks, and she gets put in libraries. But two dicks together? OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even Amazon tried to drop me over that.