Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, November 18, 2012

You know there was trouble when...

After your rather creaky, weird-sounding 737 lands you see the Southwest pilot stroll across the tarmac to the tail, flashlight in hand and pointed at the rear flaps, trying very hard to look casual about it. It wasn't just the odd humming noise during the last third of my flight from Chicago. It wasn't just the skankiness of the rear lavatory. It wasn't just that the flight attendants seemed a bit on edge. It was how the jet did a couple of very strange dips while on approach to Buffalo that brought him out, I'm sure.

On top of that, the baggage handlers were apparently told to wait to get the bags off, because one guy was setting everything up then he disappeared...and those guys are usually in the belly of the jet tossing out bags the second it's parked at the gate.

I've been on jets caught in turbulence, before. I once took a Continental flight out from San Antonio to Chicago that left in-between thunderstorms...and it was like riding a roller-coaster. This was nothing like that. I guess Southwest is flying their planes into the ground, to use an unfortunate phrase.

So now I be home and making tea and wondering what happens next. Had some ideas about A65...and suddenly I feel like I've sent out a crappy first draft for people to give me feedback on. This will be interesting.

No comments: