Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Up to 21,000 on UG

Most of what I've done has been rewriting to clarify where the story's headed...as if I know. But the fact is, I do. I also wrote part of a chapter that will come near the end and begin to explain what's going on, but mainly I'm focusing on who the characters are and what their basic personalities will be as the story progresses. And how they will change...if they do.

Dev's already pulled a major mistake and it's come back to bite him in the ass before he even knew it. And will set up huge changes in his life and attitudes. He's also finding out he's not the smartest guy on the block, nor is he even the hardest. This story is proving to be a major awakening for him.

Hmm...I wonder if I should keep counting words as I write? Because this thing is going all over the place and worrying about word count may be a detriment. I get focused on something immaterial to the outcome of the story...like what I've done with ...Owen Taylor and Place of Safety. I keep looking at how much I've written and worry about having so many, so I lose the notion that the story will be as long as it wants to be. So I have to remind myself and that screws up the rhythm...

Okay...I need to watch a movie and clear my mind.

No comments: