Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, May 26, 2014

Done, ye bastard!

I have an official first draft of "The Vanishing of Owen Taylor" completed. Holeee-effin'-doggiedoo. 517 typed, double-spaced pages, 114,819 words. And it ended just like I thought it would...almost. This was some dance you put me through, Jake...and I know the night's still young and there's more dancing to do in the rewrite. I have a number of details and revelations to reconcile...so it should wind up shorter...but then again, the way I write, I could still add a hundred pages to it.

But I am as exhausted as Jake...so I will sit this dance for a few days and get back to it when my head's stopped reeling. I won't be able to get to anything else until I have a decent draft ready to send out for feedback. And next week will put the kibosh on finishing that anytime soon.

I've got two and a half packing jobs set up -- one in Indiana, which means not all that much but is time consuming; another in NYC that has already threatened to explode into a disaster. On that one, I can't get a simple answer from anyone on how many books to expect. Based on the initial information handed out, I only allowed 2 days for it...but I got a bad feeling it'll be more like 3.

What's even nastier is, I'm catching a 5:40 am flight to JFK, on Monday, and will start packing that same day. Check into my hotel, that evening, finish packing the next day and head out to the JFK warehouse to do the half-job. Guess we'll see how this goes...but I HATE getting up in the morning.

Why can't the fates just let me win the friggin' lottery, already, so I don't have to deal with this crap and can just deal with my characters' crap, instead?

No comments: