Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

I know I shouldn't...

I wrote the ending to The Vanishing of Owen Taylor. By ending, I mean the final reveal. That comes in a hotel room in the dark between two men. No big splashy revelations in front of witnesses, like I felt needed to come. No anger or explosions. Just...quiet. Painful.

As I wrote this, I could finally hear Jake's voice, again. Simple. Direct. Less verbiage and more honesty. This is what the rest of the story must lead to. Hopefully, by the time I get to the end it will carry an emotional wallop...but you never know till it's done. Damn thing may change, again. Still the big deal is, Jake's whispering in my ear, once more.

I'm having some very intense dreams, lately...and I think it's because I'm focusing on OT. One I had was me in what I think was Kremlin Square, watching people wander around. Then I was in an opulent hotel waiting for time to check in. Lady Gaga passed by with her boyfriend (don't ask; I really haven't followed her much so have no idea why she's in my dream) and she came over to say, Hi. She got up really close and I noticed she's got wrinkles under her eyes.

Then I went to check into the hotel but there was a line, like what you see at a Vegas front desk, long and snaking around between stanchions. I noticed a lot of black people were around in upscale clothes and I thought, "Of course; less discrimination here." Then I went through the wrong line and wound up back in the lobby so had to go back. That's when I woke up.

If anybody's got any idea what the hell that means, please let me know. Because Moscow is NOT on my list of places I want to visit. Much as I love Tolstoy, I can't abide even thinking about going to a country that codifies discrimination against gay men and women into law.

Denmark, on the other hand...

No comments: