Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Off the rails, Jake...

My big bad lead almost talked me into making the killer someone who stole the identity of someone else to keep their plans hidden...and that was so daytime soap opera, I had to stop it. What's next? An evil twin? Transplanted brains? A woman who used to be a man becoming a man, again? Can't use that last one; it was too neatly done by Gore Vidal in Myra Breckinridge. "Where's my tits?"

Man...that was such a wild book AND movie. I read it because Gore Vidal and William F Buckley got into a nasty argument during the Democratic convention in 1968, where Vidal kept calling Buckley a crypto-nazi. Which he was, but it still pissed him off and he threatened to punch Vidal out. Then he and Vidal penned dueling articles in a magazine -- The New Yorker? Esquire? GQ? I don't remember -- and Buckley used Myra as an example of how depraved Vidal was.

I bought a copy the next day and read it on the bus to school, every morning. And when Myra raped Rusty, I giggled like a little girl. Of course, I saw it on a double-bill with Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, even though I was underaged, and even then I thought it was insane. Imagine Raquel Welch playing a female version of Rex Reed in a film starring Mae West, John Huston, Farrah Fawcett and film clips from a hundred different movies...not to mention a bit with Tom Selleck about to be ravaged by 80 year-old Mae. Beyond the Valley of the Dolls paled in comparison. It's still one of my all-time favorite guilty pleasures.

Anyway, this time I went on strike. I don't want easy answers, here...and doing crap like General Hospital is not leading up to any. I need to earn my quiet ending, because for it to work, the turmoils have to have been great and glorious.

What's been interesting this time around is how they've also been wacky.

No comments: