Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, May 19, 2014

The joy of re-re-re-re-writing

Looks like I can have my cake and eat it, too, in OT. In a way. I added six more pages and smoothed over some that I'd already smoothed over...and now see the ending clear and clean. As I've said, before, I know...but this time I'm so close I can smell the rot.

I halfway want my next book to be a simple romp in the sack. Men having sex and nothing more. This mystery crap is driving me insane Hell, maybe I'll make Carli's Kills an erotic tale of heterosexuals humping like bunny rabbits. I know Carli'd be open to that. But would Zeke tolerate being the sex object? Do straight men like being used by women for nothing but pleasure?

I have another story sort of like that -- Brand of Justice. It's about a female cop on the fast track to being Chief of Police when her brother-in-law is killed and events from her past keep mixing in, threatening not only her life but her sister's and her lover's. She's in her thirties and he's five years younger, at least, and deeply in love with her while all she wants is a good romp.

I actually wrote the story as a screenplay, but it's a bit too MOW for film and not MOW enough for TV. Seems Lifetime and Hallmark want women in jeopardy stories of a different nature. At least, I've been told Claire (the lead) is too able and aware and not enough the center of the story for them. I have things happening outside her purview.

That ain't happening with OT. If Jake don't see it or learn about it, he don't know it. Very much first person. He can work things out in his head and get people to reveal details to him without realizing it, but he makes mistakes and goes batshit crazy, himself, a couple of times.

It's going to be interesting to see the reaction o this book, once I'm done. See if I'm able to throw out enough red herrings to keep the reader wondering. Keep 'em interested to the end. Not aiming for much, am I?

Hell, right now I'd be happy to see if I can find an answer to the question that starts the story off.

No comments: