Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, May 9, 2014

This is what 487 pages looks like

And it's not done, yet. But I'm at that stage in the story where I need a hardcopy to go through in order to figure out if the thing's making any sense. I just can't do that on a computer. I guess I'm still old-school in that a red pen on paper is more honest to me than cut-and-paste.

I like the photo I put on the top of it...and I was thinking once the book's done I'd use something like that for the cover...but now I'm not so sure. It's on the obvious side, to me. I wonder if I can figure out some way to do a holographic cover through POD that will show him both smiling straight at you and eyes downcast in sadness?

While printing, I reread a section where Jake and Dion talk and remember their week together, years ago...and Jake learns his uncle refused to invite him to live in Palm Springs when he was kicked out of his home. The reason why ties into the whole theme of the story...and leads to the moment, alone in a hotel room, when he accepts the reality of what it all means.

It's still a mystery novel, and I am simplifying the way into that genre, but I won't be able to trim it back to being just that. This book is about a lot more than I intended...and happily so.

And terrifyingly...

2 comments:

MAC said...

It's been a fascinating journey following the creation of your latest novel.

JamTheCat said...

Yeah, instead of a straight line, I've squiggled all over the place on this trip.