Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, May 16, 2014

Yummy support

A fellow Texan at Yummy of the Day said he'd post a link to my new website for my books, so I worked this up. It took little effort or imagination...but I'm drained from all the work I've done for my books, this year. And the money I've sunk into them hurt. I'm not sorry I did it, but I doubt I'll ever make enough to break even.

The free book promo for David Martin's ended and now I have to send out copies to the winners. Most are in the US so that's not so very expensive, but one's in the UK. So there's more money into promotion. And it's wearing me down.

Tonight I was hit with a major slice of apathy. Which I guess was to be expected. I worked 11 hours straight to get everything done in time for the book fair shipments...and managed to screw up three times, just today. And I mean screw-ups that don't seem to be all that big a deal -- not getting a photocopy of a master airway bill before I FedEx'd it out and not getting a UK import registration number from another client -- but they may cause problems with Customs.

Making a living at a job where you're guaranteed to fuck up once a day doesn't do much for your self-esteem.

What it has shown me is, I would have fucked up as a director. I can barely write, so how in god's name did I ever come up with the idea I could direct a movie? They're little more than controlled chaos at a pace ten times worse than what I'm dealing with, now. It's amazing any of them turn out well.

But then again...maybe I'd have taken to it like a crazed Tasmanian Devil and become another Hollywood cautionary tale about excessive ego and madness.

1 comment:

MAC said...

I'm always happy to help out a friend... thanks for the shout-out! XOXO