Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Promises are absurd...

I'm going through the last part of OT in pairs of chapters to keep from getting all caught up in the story and characters, and it's been good to do. I see inconsistencies easier and find my typical typos. I also get ideas to make those chapters stronger, but that sometimes means going back and changing things.

Like just a moment ago, as I was about to shut down...all of a sudden Jake pulled out his sketch pad and did some sketching. And it reminded me that's the first time I have him do that in the whole book. He's an artist. If he's anything like me, he'll need to do some work every day to feel like he's okay with the world.

So...I now want to go back and add in a couple of bits where he pulls out his sketch pad or book or something. Guess it's going to come together despite me.

I'll be in LA the first week of February, working in Westwood. I got a hotel on Sepulveda, not too far away. And there's the possibility of me being sent to Lisbon to pack up a library. That's still in the formative stages so I can't even begin to be hopeful, but I think it'd be wild. That's another place I'd never go on my own.

Hmm...I've been trying to come up with a good image for the cover of OT. I want to start doing some preliminary publicity for it and one thing would be to work up some images. Maybe I should have Jake do a self-portrait and use that. I did that after the fact for the characters in The Lyons' Den and like how they turned out.

But I doubt I'll be allowed to use Aidan Turner's image.

No comments: