Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, April 11, 2016

First part done...

The Vanishing of Owen Taylor is now in the process of being set up for publishing in paperback. It's $15.99, which I think is pricey...but I can't lower it. After printing fees and trade discounts, that would put me into negative-income territory, and Ingram won't allow that. At least the e-book will be inexpensive, once I get that done. I'll start on that tomorrow or the next day; right now I'm wiped.

Of course, there were hiccups. The PDF wasn't embedding the fonts when I shifted from Word. I fiddled with it a bit and I'm still not sure exactly what I did, but it worked. Then when I tried to upload the cover, they rejected the form they sent me to use. Said it wasn't in CMYK. Fortunately, I'd also done a cover without using the form, and that one got accepted.

I'm going to buy a physical proof, once it's ready. I need that to make sure it's really going to look right when it's printed. Sort of a tactile thing...and I found out when I did Bobby Carapisi it's a good thing to do; the first proof of that book had the cover misaligned due to my errors.

Now I need to re-familiarize myself with how Smashwords works. It's been 2 years since I last self-published and I've forgotten most of how to link up the table of contents with the chapter headings so the reader can shift to them, easily.

The hardcover's going to be last, and it's only because I want to do it just to see how it turns out. And have one of my books in hardcover. I doubt I'll sell any because to work that, I'll have to price it at $29.99.

Now I look around and my workspace is a mess...as usual after a project like this.

No comments: