Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Still marching forward

I'm now working on the dust jacket for the hardcover edition of The Vanishing of Owen Taylor. I'm not sure about this one, however, because it's looking just like the paperback and I think they should be dissimilar. At least, that's what my gut's saying. It's just, I really like the way the paperback's cover turned out...if Ingram Spark will print it right. I should have the third proof, tomorrow, to see.

It's not like I'm in any rush on the hardcover, right now. I just want it available, but in order to set it up with Ingram I have to put a price of $29.95 on it. After the printing costs and discounts for the trade, if I go any lower I would make no money on it...and would actually be paying.

I had that problem when I did the paperback for Bobby Carapisi. I put a price of $15.95 on the book but discovered that normal trade discount is 55%, and if I offered anything higher than a 40% discount, I'd go into negative territory. What the heck...the e-books sell better, anyway, and I make as much on them as I do the higher-priced paperbacks. Maybe I'll let it go...

Or I can buy them in bulk and get a good price, then resell them...but I dunno about that. Seems a bit cheesy and desperate. I might get a few just to send off and ask for reviews from magazines and such. And I guess I could haunt the modern market trade fairs to set up a booth and say, Look at me, I'm writing!

That and a bowl of Hershey's Kisses might get passersby to pay attention...

No comments: