Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

The beginning of the end...

I hope. I ran into a lovely limitation with my version of Word -- it will not translate headers into a pdf file with the rest of the document. They're outside the printable area, apparently, and there is nothing you can do to make it work, according to a dozen different sites I went to. I'm taking the manuscript in to work to see if I fare better on a PC as opposed to a Mac...but I seem to recall I did that with another book and it reworked my pages a little.

The paperback's going to be $15.99; any lower on the price and I'm into negative territory, thanks to printing costs and discounts to retailers. Meaning I won't make a lot per book, but I'm okay with that.

This is the beginning of the cover for the paperback edition. I brightened the title a bit, removed some extra wordage, and blacked out the model's knee to give it a more...I dunno...almost reverent feel, to me. I came close to talking myself into putting the knee back in and just making it more obvious as to what it is...but when I started to, it felt wrong. So...Jordan (the model) not only gets his beard trimmed down to a goatee, but he also loses some nudity.

The title's still on the dark side, but I like it. This almost feels elegant. Once I have the rest of the wordage in -- synopsis, bio, that kind of stuff -- it may look better or I may brighten it, some more.

The cover is a bit off because I'm allowing for trim and bleed. I tried to get it to save with the guide lines, to show the actual configuration, but it didn't work. It's a non-stop fight to get anything done with my old programs.

Maybe I should start playing the lottery to see if I can win at least enough to upgrade my computer and programs.

No comments: