Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, March 10, 2017

Doing tedious work on A65

I'm plowing back into the tedious part of reworking The Alice '65...shifting the last of it from first to third person. It takes some writing effort, but mostly it's making sure I get rid of all the "I" aspects of the narrative bits to replace with "he, she, they and the like." It's hard, and even glancing back through what I've already done I find moments where I missed bits in need of reworking.

I'm also wondering if I'm approaching the point where there's too much going on? I'm still of a mind that the more I put in, the better...just so I can keep it from becoming too serious. It's a rom-com with dramatic bits...and I can always trim back. I dunno...I'm having fun and that's the main thing.

The New York Book Fair is now underway, so things will be quiet, this weekend...till move-out Sunday night. I'm in Buffalo while everyone else is dealing with the freezing cold in NYC, which is supposed to get even worse, Sunday night. After this comes the London Book Fair as the next big one, but it seems fewer and fewer dealers are attending the fairs.

Paris used to be fair-sized -- a couple dozen US and UK dealers being taking into it by us -- but this year, no Americans are going, and only a few Brits. Things are changing, thanks to the non-stop political turmoil all over the place, and won't stop anytime soon. Our own insanity in Washington and too many state capitols is proving how stubborn people can be when they decide to refuse to face the reality of the GOP's cruelty and greed.

Doesn't help the Democrats are flopping around giving very little push-back, with a few exceptions...

No comments: