Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Stop messin' with me!

Jesus, Christ, every time I turn around there are a dozen things that demand my attention. A new health insurance policy has to be decided on; my current one will cease to work at the end of the year and I have only a certain space of time in which to choose. Stay with Blue Cross? Go to another provider? And not a word on what the cost of the policies are; you have to go online and dig through layers of links that lead to more links and nowhere so you have to start over in order to get that.

And my credit cards are all shifting to chip cards, so they have to be updated and anything I have automatically charged to them has to be changed because the security number and expiration dates are wrong. And I had to get my driver's license renewed and do I want an enhanced one? If I do, then I have to have two forms of ID, my SSI card and a bill that has my address on it to prove I am who I am, even though I already have a passport and have lived at the same address for 6 years. And there's Nexus, which is necessary for me because it helps me get through the lines at the terminals faster and helps me cross into Canada faster and Caladex really wants me to have it but I have to go to the border crossing in Niagara Falls for an interview with BOTH a Canadian and US Customs Official before they'll give it to me.

I think my "favorite" demands come from Democratic candidates. I gave $25 to Bernie during his run for the nomination, and in return he gave my name to the DNC, who in turn gave it to every damned Democrat running for office. And all of them have been deluging me with begging requests for more money. Even Obama, supposedly. Which i can ignore...but now they're trying to use guilt to get cash out of me. ""You're the only one who hasn't given us even $3" and "Why won't you sign this petition or that demand against the GOP? We've tried so hard to get you to understand how important this is."

And it all costs money. The more I try to lower my spending, the more it increases. Same for my weight; the more I try to lose the more I gain. And it all requires time to deal with it. Time I don't get to spend writing. I should stop trying to do anything about my finances or health; maybe then it would go back to normal and I'd be able to focus on what I want to do.

It's good I never have won the lottery; I can imagine how explosive the demands on my time would become.

No comments: