Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Shots of London but none of Reading...

I had neither the time nor interest in looking around Reading, even though we'd pass Reading Gaol en route from the hotel to the house where we were packing. I was beat by the end of the day and had no way to get around except by bus, so...no touristy stuff done...

I did take these photos during my ramble through London last Saturday. I was in short-sleeves and going no place in particular...just the general direction of the Thames.
First pass was The British Library, right by St. Pancras. I once hand-carried an original manuscript of music by Hayden to them from New York, one meant to be played for George III. I got to go into the bowels of the building and see how many people they had doing cataloguing and cleaning and helping prepare for events to show off the manuscripts.
Then I passed Holborn Underground station, which figures in Underground Guy. It's where Liam Hanlon is kidnapped to be murdered, and when Devlin sees him on video just prior to it all, knowing what's about to happen to the man, it causes him to collapse into a form of hysteria that becomes an epiphany...
Then I took the underground to St. Paul's, which closed to visitors 5 minutes before I got there. It's a majestic building but what was really great about it was this...
...Harry Potter fans doing a light reenactment by the main doors.
I then got thoroughly lost and wound up having to grab a cab so I could find my way to The Shard. I planned to go to the observation deck to look around, but the line was so long and slow I knew I wouldn't be up there till after sunset so just walked away to connect with the Thames and stroll down to Tower Bridge, cross it...and just sit and think.
This guy, however, wound up catching my eye and I spent more time watching him and listening to his Italian than contemplating my own place in life. I believe that's now referred to as a SQUIRREL moment for a dog...

And I'm the ultimate dumb mutt when it comes to cute guys...

No comments: