Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, October 25, 2010

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir

I just watched the 1947 film with Gene Tierney and Rex Harrison (if you want an excellent review of it, check out this week's "Tired Old Queen At The Movies") and relaxed so nicely.  It's a film that breaks most of the rules in the books of screenwriting and works perfectly because of it...and the score by Bernard Hermann is justifiably famous.  It was elegant and fun and cleansed my mind of everything negative and awkward.

It'd be fun to try and write a romance like this.  I've written love stories into some of my work, but only as part of the whole, not in and of themselves.  I even have a solid romance going on between Antony and Jake in RIHC6 that has push and pull and give and take and such.  And what's happening between Brendan and Joanna is more than just first love.  But both of them are mingled in with much larger stories crashing around them, and I wonder what it'd be like to just a love story.  A romance -- NOT like Danielle Steele or those Harlequin books, or that fake junk of "Twilight" and "True Blood" or even the trumped up nonsense that backed up "The Notebook."  Just one that works out from human want and need.

Kind of a funny thing to stem from a romantic fantasy.

But thinking about it..."5 Dates" fits the love story mold.  It's a bit easy in structure but it works as a romance.  And "Dair's Window" has some solid romantic elements in it -- a man pining for his dead lover, a new man coming along to help him face the future, again.

Thoughts drift through my mind.  I'm a raft on the Mississippi whispering by.

No comments: