Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, October 29, 2010

Radical napping

Well...I'm back from glorious downtown Toronto after moving in some of the book dealers attending the Toronto International Antiquarian Book Fair.  Not the best organized event I've ever seen (they didn't even have Windex or paper towels for people to clean the glass cases with), but my guys and gals were happy with my services and I got back to Buffalo in time to take a nice little nap.  Not a major one (if I do that, I wake up with a headache and sluggish and worthless and such) but just enough to refresh and let me work on things that needed working on.

I did get rather ticked off at the attitude my supervisor took when he learned I'd driven up the night before (because I didn't have to get up at 5am to make it to the warehouse by 7:30 so we could load the truck with the shipments).  I haven't been sleeping well and I just didn't want the hassle of driving while dead tired and dealing with traffic on top of everything else the job would entail.  Besides, I am NOT a morning person; I hate being up before 10.  Anyway, he snipped off this little comment -- "Can't you drive in the mornings?" -- and maybe he didn't mean anything but a joke by it, but it pissed me off.  I wasn't going to charge the hotel room to him; it was my personal decision to do this so I planned to use it as a tax deduction.  But now?  Now I'm getting the money back.

But this is petty shit.  The hell with it.  I release thee from me, ye scummy emotions.

Mom's doing better now that she's back on her supplements so tension is easing, greatly, and I can shift focus back to my writing.  And in doing so had something odd pop up.  "The Lyons' Den" wants to be a book.  I've written it as both a play and a screenplay...and now it wants to be a narrative told in first person by Daniel, the lead.  He even gave me the opening sentences -- "All I wanted was to get back together with Todd.  Was that dumb, or what?"

Sometimes my stories do get greedy and become little divas.  Which may be fun to deal with in November.

Hmm...Daniel as a Snap Queen...hmm...

Oops, he screamed bloody murder over that.  "I'm not a queen!"  Just needy.

Oh, this will be enjoyable.

No comments: