Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Off to Seattle and Denver...

So blogging may be light. But I'll have my laptop so I can still work on BC-3. I have three chapters that still need work...maybe four...depends on what happens when I get into this new idea I have for explaining things. I was going to do the "let the reader make up his or her own mind" thing, but this story doesn't warrant that. Too European. It wants an explanation, and I'll have to give one.

But I'm up to 66,000 words, now. Eric and Allen got a bit verbose, yet as I go through it, each time, and try to trim it down...all I do is wind up adding more. Because I can't let loose with an undercooked story.

So I'm not going to participate in this year's NaNoWriMo. I want to focus on getting POS into at least a first draft, and considering all the work I have coming up and how long it's taking to wrangle BC-3 into shape, I'll have little enough time as it is.

On top of this, my mother was released from the hospital to a rehabilitation center for some physical therapy; she's been losing her balance a lot and had pains in her arms and legs that might come from muscle trouble. She stayed there a whole 8 hours before being sent back to the hospital because she's become severely dehydrated and is running a low-grade fever. I don't feel good about this, so I'll need to head down to SA pretty soon just to visit with her...and move my things out of her apartment...which I should have done when I was down there last month. On the positive side, once this series of trips is finished, I'll be eligible for a free flight on Southwest. I can use that.

As an addendum to the previous post, I learned from "Writer" at Salmagundi that there's now a mystery novel available that was written by "Jessica Fletcher"...she of "Murder, She Wrote" fame...as portrayed by Angela Lansbury for 10 years on TV. The depths of our cultural collapse amazes me.

But what I really want to know is -- how the HELL did those ghost writers get that gig?

1 comment:

Brad Rushing said...

I searched Amazon.com for Jessica Fletcher. And I wouldn't say "now there is A novel by her." Oh no. Try a series of at least TEN! All "co-written" by some cat named Donald Bain. The series seems to have started in 2007 and produced two books thus far in 2010. Pretty good for a TV series that has been off the air for 14 years. Oh, and Angela Landsbury gets her picture on the front of each book.

I am glad to hear you will be back on POS soon and that BC3 is shaping up well for you.