Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Don't Worry, Be...whatever you want

After being bitched at for doing exactly what I was told to do by my boss, I came to a conclusion -- I cannot even begin to please most people. Now this is not a new notion. Hell, I've known for a long time that old saying, "You can't please everybody," is true, to the max. I've learned that from my screenplays and books. Even had some run-ins over it, which anyone who's been reading this blog for a while knows all about.

When it gets crazy is when you're told to hand out certain information -- for example, the time and day domestic book dealers' shipments are slated to return from the book fair -- but then apparently you didn't bother reading the minds of the people who told you this and realize there's ONE dealer who's getting his stuff later than that. And no one says a thing about it until after he's called and been assured his books are arriving when he thought they would. So when you mention you told this dealer what you were told to tell him, the response is, "Why would you tell him that?"

This actually pissed me off, and has made me more determined to stop this crap. I'm not really suited for this job; they need someone oriented to a certain level of detail that I'm just no good at. So once I'm caught up with my life, I'm plotting out an exit strategy. Big time.

Meanwhile, I'm planning for three library moves over the next two weeks and am still catching up on mail and e-mails. 

No comments: