Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Vanishing of Owen Taylor

The title of my Jake & Tone mystery. I now have 12 pages done.

You never know where the muse will lead you...but woe unto thee if you ignore her. Or him. Does it matter? Oh, man, that's not something I need to worry about, now -- wondering if I've inadvertently offended the muse. They can be very difficult, and demanding.

And just to remind you who Jake and Antony are --
Jake is probably the most decent character I've ever written (after Bobby Carapisi) and the most real to me. It's only right he should have his own book, now. And that he should be in the same mold as Phillip Marlowe and Sam Spade and Travis McGee; he's got their abilities down pat.







Antony (Tone to Jake...and Jake, only) is my most fascinating one, to me. The way his love for Jake makes him do things that would otherwise be insane...and are insane, in reality. But there's no question how much he loves his Jake, and no question he's smart...just not smart enough to know that can be a flaw, especially when you can get as one-track-minded as he can.

Then there's Matt, who will figure in deeply...just how I haven't worked out yet. But he's become like the calm counterpoint to Antony and has computer skills that always come in handy, these days. He's got deep shadows...but overall he's a decent guy, too.

No comments: