Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, July 2, 2012

Need a new bag

The strap came undone on my satchel and I damn near dropped my laptop down the stairs leading into the subway. Fortunately, I was able to grab the handle before it hit the ground...and almost went tumbling, myself. My arm's still a bit achy from it. Not the best way to start the day.

The job was basically okay. I did the 9-6 thing and took time for lunch...but I have a sneaking suspicion I'll be here till Friday to complete it, not counting Wednesday.

I did have that Guinness and Shepherd's Pie. I don't know if it was just me being hungry, but damn it tasted good.

All of a sudden, Jake's revealed a side of himself I wasn't expecting -- something pretty damned ruthless. I'm not sure if this is the direction the story should take...but I'm not going to hold back on it. Nor will I say what it is, yet. I just think it's interesting to find out the one guy I think is the most decent gay man in all my books...well, except for Van...no, wait, Van's got his moments of duplicity...anyway,  he's proving to be as cold-blooded as a jackal when he feels it's needed. And that's on top of being clever and aware and as honest as anyone can be.

I don't know where this is coming from, because it's not part of my makeup. I once commented to an associate at Heritage that I could easily have become a serial killer, and she said, "No, you couldn't; you have too much empathy." Shot me down, good. And she's right. That's half the reason I'm a Liberal -- I know what people're going through and it infuriates me that the right wing nuts are letting billionaires get away with making things worse for us all. But even in that anger, even when I contemplate the idea of taking it to the next level and shooting a banker or a piece of billionaire scum like the Koch Brothers -- I'd never be able to do it. I'd be happy to send them to jail, but killing anyone? That's a step too far.

So I'm not clear as to why this is popping up in Jake, unless it's what I wish I could do. Or think I should do.

He's becoming a very complex character in my mind, and far more honorable than I am. I hope I can do him justice.

No comments: