Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Laziness est ma forte

I know just enough French to get myself into trouble (which I did once, in Paris), and just enough Spanish to get by in Texas if not Mexico. My German is pathetic...but I know if I'd just keep at it, I'd catch on. I just...don't.

It's ridiculous. I've got decent enough basics in three other languages besides English, but I don't do anything to improve in them. I have books that teach you the languages, and tapes or disks; I should work at it. To do otherwise is a waste and really pretty stupid.

I think I prefer to learn French better because when we lived in England it was being taught in class. Off a record. 20 minutes a day. And part of my background is French (mixed with Norwegian). Of course, me saying that drives my sister in San Diego crazy. She says our father's background is German, and since her mother was of German descent, she likes being full-blooded. I say since the family came from Alsace-Lorraine, je suis francais.

You see, I'm too much of a romantic, at times, to accept a Deutsch background, and not at all pragmatic. Besides, it's more fun to say you're French-Norwegian. It sounds...I dunno...elegant. And I'm solid on the Nordic background; my great aunt Irene did a family tree tracing that branch back to 1654 in Norway, and worked up a diagram that shows my mother and my aunt at the very bottom.

I should get that framed, sometime. Just like I should become fluent in French.

Merde, je suis nuts.

No comments: