Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, July 1, 2012

184 And Counting

That's how many pages I have written for OT, and I'm maybe a third of the way through. I worked on it as I rode the train down to NYC from Buffalo. It's a long trip -- 9 hours on this one -- and there was no Wifi to distract me...which happens so easily. But I had power for my laptop, and now I have every character I've written into the story named and know where they are and what needs to be added to bridge the gaps. So far. Doesn't help in the clarity department that I've also got a cast of thousands. I feel so...so Cecil B. De Mille...without the reactionary Catholic condescension.

The train was packed the whole way. Seems like this is a very popular trip, I guess because it has a dining car. I had a dry burger and a Brooklyn Brew for $20, including tip. But I have to say, it is not a smooth ride. When I was taking the ferry between Belfast and Stranraer, in Scotland, it was less choppy. One man had to leave because he was getting motion sickness.

BUT...I still managed to pay homage to the dining car scene in "North By Northwest"...even though my table companions were a middle-aged couple from Cleveland.

Tomorrow, I'm working 8 hours. Period. 9-5:30 or 6, depending on how long I take for lunch. Same for Tuesday. I'll be breaking my back enough next week to get that move finished; I don't need to do it every job. Then I'll have a nice Shepherd's Pie at the Pig and Whistle across from Rockefeller Center and Tuesday I'm set up for dinner at a veggie restaurant called Blossom.

Oh...I also learned FRT got 2nd place at The Indie Gathering, for Feature Action Screenplay. Woo-hoo! I'm going to try and attend...but it depends on the cost and possible jobs and a writing course on comedy that I'm taking online near the end of the month. Since comedy's my weak link in my writing, I don't have any problem letting someone else give me ideas on how to make it better.

Guess I'm only somewhat arrogant when it comes to my abilities.

No comments: