Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Stasis over...for now...

I've spent the last two days going through "Inherent Flaws" for typos and inconsistencies. I need to get this book off my plate and the only way to do that is to get it published. So...a friend of mine sent me a link to an ad, looking for books that have been adapted from screenplays. I contacted them...and I know exactly how what they want to do works.

A guy who's presenting himself as an agent (though I don't think he's licensed) is connected to a producer and to a publisher (who may be the same person, or not). What they're proposing is, basically, they work up a cover, reformat the book for transition to online publishing and publish it through Kindle and Create Space, with Amazon. They say they have contacts to let people know about the book, and if it does well enough, they'll try and get a movie made from the script.

I'd shy away from this because it's pretty much like what Nazca Plains did with my first books. And any promise of money depends on book sales, so that can't be taken seriously. And sure enough, they've asked me if I'm willing to adapt more scripts into books...for a percentage of the book sales. Nothing up front. Not so sure about that.

BUT...and this is a big one...the agent says he's an ex-cop. Like the guy whose story I adapted. So I put them in contact with each other, and they seem to like each other, and since this isn't really my project...I'm willing to go along with it. See how it works out. Who knows? This might be the way IF gets to the right people to get considered properly. God knows me being careful and cynical hasn't worked. And that might segue into projects of my own being considered.

Of course, that meant I got nothing else done this weekend. Not even laundry. And I'm still keyed up from the trip since I haven't had any real down time. Tomorrow means back to the office, and I need to get groceries and iron so I'll have clothes for the rest of the week (I have a pile of ironing I haven't done in a month). Tuesday, I'm going to Niagara Falls, Canada for my birthday dinner.

I'll get back onto OT later in the week.

Oh, word of caution as regards rental cars -- buy the collision waiver, or make damn sure your insurance or credit card will cover every aspect of the car being repaired, including down time. And inspect that vehicle like you're buying it.

When I returned the mini-van to Enterprise, they claimed it had damage. We went out to look at it, and they had to point it out to me so I could find it. There's a small crack and some minimal scraping to the lower right corner of the front bumper that I would not have noticed when I rented the vehicle. I think it was already there, but I had to sign an incident report making me responsible for it, even though I knew I hadn't done anything.

Fortunately, I'd bought the insurance waiver...at $12 a day. They'd just raised the price and I was thinking I'd blow it off, next time...but now? No way in hell. My auto insurance has a $500 deductible, and my credit card will only cover repairs, not missed income while it's unavailable for rental. So I got off easy.

But next time, I'm using a magnifying glass and going over every inch of the car...especially the bumpers.

And I bet you fifty bucks they don't even get it repaired, it's so minimal.

No comments: