Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Wrong direction

While doing the last of the packing, today, I zoned a bit and realized I have the ending of OT going a direction it should not go. It was making Jake seem a bit dumb and having the answer almost fall into his lap. And I wasn't comfortable with it, but was still working things towards that end...and then today I realized I was doing the usual "last detail falls into place" cliche of most mediocre detective novels instead of it being an accumulation of evidence to show what happened with Jake's Uncle Owen.

But now...now Jake's one mean-assed little SOB...and I hope lovably so. Or, at least, understandably. Because he doesn't want to reveal what the mystery is till just the right minute, and that means being a hard-assed, vindictive little shit. But considering how he's been treated, the last eight years, it's to be expected.

If I say anything more than that...well, I want to see if I can pull this off and keep anyone from figuring out the ending.

Dion/Rose of the Golden Girls figures into it. So does Matt. Antony, of course, is part and parcel...but the incident that makes Jake's mind up stems from...no, dammit! I'm not going to reveal any more of this story! The best way to kill a mystery is by being too coy.

Let's just say an image like this fits into the finale. Hee-hee.

No comments: