Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Act 1 on A65

 I say I'm going to cut, so I add half a page. It's crazy. But I've gone through the first act four times and it stays the same length. I'm fighting a losing battle, there.

That said, I am in the leanest part of the script, and Act 2 is so much sloppier. I should be able to cut in there; I have way too much chit-chat.

Act one's tight because it's where Adam's established as a cloistered lad en route to being old too soon, then he's being talked into working with Casey, and then he's being made over by Orisi. He goes from this...
...to something along the feel of this, just not as "City" as that. And then through the second half of Act 2 is totally deconstructed.

I'm having more fun with the interplay between him and Orisi, but Casey's too much in the background. For this to be a romantic comedy, she needs to make more of an impression, and she's still being reticent. Dunno why. I'm giving her the chance. Maybe it's because Patricia's around taking up all the good air. She's Casey's manager, backup, and entourage...AKA: Mom. How many girls want to be all they can be in front of mommy?

Damn, I'd like to win the lottery and make this movie. I'd cast Russell in a heartbeat, along with Eliza Dushku. It wouldn't take a lot to do -- $5-7 million. I know the perfect cinematographer who'd add immeasurably to the project.

That said, again...anybody know any millionaires who like to gamble on long shots?

No comments: