Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Back to one...

Meaning I returned to the beginning of OT and dug through it and found that is is a mystery story...and that half the mystery is wondering why Jake tolerates Antony. The other half is finding out what happened to Owen Taylor.

Themes have begun to show up in the story, some of which I hadn't noticed until now -- like how one builds a family when you blood relatives turn their backs on you. And how much alike people are, at times. And how even those who are discriminated against can discriminate. And how consistent parts of society are in their hates and preferences.

The last one interests me a lot, because to me...when you stop growing and changing with the times, you stop living. And I'm seeing a hint of that in Jake and how he's refused to deal with his own past, even as he snarls about Antony not really dealing with his. And mingled all through this is the idea of trust being essential to love and an honest relationship.

This won't be an Agatha Christie style mystery, that's for damn sure -- where you get no character development or understanding beyond the clues and explanation. It's becoming a very emotionally-driven work, to me.

What's even more fun is, I'm now up over 70,000 words. Who knows, I may actually get this done, some day.

No comments: