Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Downton Abbey

Finished Season 2. I have to think about making myself go through Season 3. I really do not understand the fascination with this program. I have yet to see one moment of originality in it, and cannot connect with any of the characters. They're all so derivative and stale.

But my biggest gripe is with Thomas, the footman. The one gay man in the whole of England, despite how infamous British public schools were about male on male romances, is a conniving bitch.

Of course, none of the people inhabiting the show are of top drawer material. They all seem to have one note to play. Lady Mary as the haughty hypocrite. Matthew as the perfectionist prig. Lord Grantham as the befuddled patriarch. And Thomas as the back-stabbing faggot.

That really fucking pisses me off. I've got a vicious, cruel, selfish, back-stabbing queer vampire in "Blood Angel" -- Dmitriy -- but I give him a back story to explain it, and there's a counterpoint to him; Scott, one of Tristan's friends, is gay and would rather die than hurt him, even though he's desperate to feed after Dmitriy turns him.

I don't mind gay villains. What bugs me is when the only gay character is the worst guy in the room. Thomas steals, lies, cheats, blackmails, plots evil with O'Brien, cuts people down with emotional bullying, you name it. And I fucking hate that.

I think I will avoid any more of this show. It just pisses me off.

No comments: