Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Plotting and turning

I think it's going to take another 2 drafts of OT before it even begins to make sense to anyone...even me. It's funny how a simple little mystery has turned into something as complex as a Swiss watch. But Jake won't let me back down. He's pushing forward with a plan and a need I can't quite grasp. I don't think he'll reveal all until the first draft is done.

I find Jake's whole image is altering as this story goes along. Will Fennell was a good visual for him in the RIHC6 books because he has a gentle aura to him...but now? Now Jake's sharper. Less like a hound and more and more like a wolf. More like Aiden Turner's look from "Being Human". He's driving the story, now, and I'm along for the ride.

It's funny how I can't keep to a schedule on my writing. I planned to use a few weeks to at least get one draft done of this book, and I'm still tangling with it a couple days before my deadline.

But I never have been a very disciplined writer, not when it comes to that aspect of it. I ramble. I back away. I shift my focus to other projects. I let my mind wander. And sometimes I just plain do not sit down to face the keyboard. But somehow...step by step...I'm getting close to the end. It takes time, but I'm usually happy with the outcome.

Until I'm not.

No comments: