Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Trying to read

I got a copy of "Blood's a Rover" by James Ellroy and do not like his style, at all. He hates to run compound sentences, and dislikes using third person anything. "Dwight did this. Dwight did that. Dwight did something else." It drives me nuts and keeps me from getting into the flow of the book. I thought my style might need simplifying for OT...but this ain't the way to go.

I'm reading it for a possible writing job in Palm Springs...but I don't think I'm right for this. We'll have to see.

I used my time on the plane to work on some plans for my writing. I'm applying to the NEA for a grant to stay in Ireland for 3-4 months and research "Place of Safety", which requires a writing sample as part of the massive number of documents they want. I seriously doubt I'll get it, and even if I do, it won't be usable for over a year, but it's best to start trying, again.

Of course, I'm hitting that at the last minute. The package is due before 28 February, and they strongly urge you submit everything by the 18th to overcome any problems that might pop up. sounds like experience talking here...and that makes me nervous.

I also added some bits to OT, but I didn't have room enough to really work on my laptop; the plane was packed and this was an older one that seemed tighter. I know it's not me because I've actually lost 7 pounds in the last 10 days. I found a version of Dr. Pepper that's low calorie but still tastes right. I can't handle the diet junk; it always leaves an aftertaste.

Got in really late, last night, so went straight to bed, almost. Wound up waking at 7am.


No comments: